Re: Whats the diffrerence between 3GP and MP4 file format?

Re: Whats the diffrerence between 3GP and MP4 file format?

I'm not sure that its proprietary and its codec independent i.e. it supports
tracks encoded with h263 mp4 etc.!
There's a working document from Ericsson at the 3gpp site.
http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/tsg_sa/WG4_CODEC/
Tdoc S4 03 0417 which is version 0.2.0 of the 3gp file format.
http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/tsg_sa/WG4_CODEC/TSGS4_26/Docs/

My understanding was that its a file format that is targeting wired/wireless
media delivery. It allows for multi-tracked content and delivery using
alternate groups for tracks and switch groups.
You know if you use say, the mpeg4ip project and you dump an mp4 file, you
get a hierarchy of various tracks and atoms.
What Im interested in or rather curious about, is what is the difference in
terms of atoms and meta-info between the mp4 file format and the 3gp file
format!

Thanks, rgds,
Nikki