RE: How to Reset Your Apple Password

On
> Behalf Of email@hidden
> Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2005 4:53 PM
> To: email@hidden; Apple Scitech Mailing List Mailing List'
> Subject: Re: How to Reset Your Apple Password
>
> That's not what I mean.  Obviously iforgot.apple.com is an apple IP
> address.  But that means nothing.   Usually in these emails, the trick
> is as follows:
>
> Please click on this link <a
> href://badplace.scammer.com/evil-script.cgi>
> http://apple.com/password-reset/ </a> to reset your password.
>
> So you think you are going to apple.com but you are actually going to
> badplace.scammer.com.  Look at the raw source of the email to see
> what's really going on.  You can do this in Mail.app using View ->
> Message -> Raw Source.   I'm pretty sure you'll see that the actual
> link is not iforgot.apple.com.

[BWM ] Except it's unlikely they'd tell you to cut and paste it then. Most
likely, someone else used your login id accidentally, couldn't get in
using their own password, and pressed the button to request a password
reset. That sends an email to the owner of the UID (in this case you),
making sure the right person is in fact requesting the reset. In this
case, you aren't and so you ignore the message and don't reset your
password.
Not everything is a phishing scheme.

> On Mar 31, 2005, at 1:40 PM, Bryan Jones wrote:
>

> > On Mar 31, 2005, at 2:34 PM, Rich Cook wrote:
> >
> >> This looks like a scam that I believe is known as a "phishing
> >> expedition. "
> >>
> >> When you view the raw source of the email, does the url match what
> >> the email claims it to be?
> >
> > Yeah, thats the thing that has me worried.  The IP comes back as
> > 17.254.13.38 which is an Apple IP.
> >

> > Bryan
> >

> > Bryan William Jones, Ph.D.
> > email@hidden
> > University of Utah School of Medicine
> > Moran Eye Center  Rm 3339A
> > 75 N. Medical Dr.
> > Salt Lake City, Utah 84132
> > http://prometheus.med.utah.edu/~marclab/
> > iChat/AIM address:  email@hidden
> >

> --
> Richard Cook
> Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
> Bldg-453 Rm-4037, Mail Stop L-557
> 7000 East Avenue,  Livermore, CA, 94550, USA
> phone (925) 423-9605 (work)    fax (925) 423-6961
> ---
> Information Management & Graphics Grp., Services & Development Div.,
> Integrated Computing & Communications Dept.
> (opinions expressed herein are mine and not those of LLNL)

n.