Copying items to current user's Library/Preferences?

Copying items to current user's Library/Preferences?

Title: Copying items to current user's Library/Preferences?
Could someone please tell me how to copy an item to the current user’s /Library/Preferences? I have tried /Users/~/Library/Preferences but ARD3 created a new user folder named ~ ! I have successfully copied to individual user account using their actual account name, but this defeats the purpose of a mass push to all workstations. Also, I would like the items copied to inherit their ownership permissions from the destination folder.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Michele Corum
ISD Marketing
World Savings