GL_TRIANGLES or GL_QUADS?

G'day everyone!

I'm sure this is a dumb question (hah!), but has anyone had any
experience with the difference in rendering speeds between using GL_QUADS
or just creating quads from two GL_TRIANGLES? (using either the GL
lighting model or just manual vertex colouration)

I heard a rumor once that 3D cards transparently divided quads into
triangles anyway which would mean that (in ideal conditions) there would
be no speed advantage using quads over triangle pairs.

Is there any truth to this?

TIA!

Ian Hooper email@hidden

"What's money? A man is a success if he wakes up
in the morning, goes to sleep at night and in
between does what he wants to." - Bob Dylan